He was one of the most attacking left-back. He made a great career and 5 teams competed (Corinthians, Arsenal, Celta, Barcelona, Manchester City). Now it is one of the most close associates Roberto Mancini the coach of Inter Milan. The reason for the Brazilian, Sylvinho who spoke with Discoveryfootball.com for many interesting topics.
Inter, aims to ensure its exit in the Champions League. National Brazilian is again protagonist in the next World Cup, led the Neymar. Barcelona, Bayern and Real the favorite this year for the UEFA Champions League, but hopes that something can be achieved and Manchester City.
Interview with Sylvio Mendes Campos Júnior – “Sylvinho”
1.What is your current employment status?
I’m part of Roberto Mancini’s coaching staff here at Inter.
2. What about the National Brazilian side? After the sad appearance in the 2014 World Cup, does it have the makings and the players to again find the way of success?
They often change a lot of things in their working method. It is true that the national team had a terrific World Cup last time, the match against Germany was truly terrible, but they still have a huge advantage, because they always have good players. We can say that Brazil never starts it’s journey to a World Cup from zero. We do have a good team and I think we will join the next World Cup in the best possible condition. Of course Neymar will be our star.
3. Neymar, who we all so admire, does he have what it takes to become the new leader of the national Brazilian?
I think he does. During my career I met two kinds of leaders. First of all the ones like Zanetti, Maldini and Puyol, but also ones such as Messi. Another positive kind of leader, able to play a good football and to represent his team and the whole game of football. That’s Neymar’s way. I don’t know him so well as to say how he lives his experience, but I see him as a very positive player. I still know people in Barcelona that tell me how good he is. That’s his way of being a leader.
4. The Champions League is probably the best there is in football. This year, it will be a fight between two or three teams, or should we expect a surprise?
Usually there are just a few teams able to fight for the famous Big Cup: Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid for example, but it also depends on the draws. A strange quarter-final can change everything. I’m interested in Manchester City’s possibilities, because with the ability they have and with a good draw they can do very well in this competition.
5. Is your team, F.C. Internazionale competing for a place in next year’s Champions League? Do you think you will be there next season?
This is what we have been working for since the very beginning of this season. Third place is very important for us, but we know it is not easy. Juventus and Napoli are a bit too far ahead, then there is a group of teams fighting for one single place: Fiorentina, Inter, Roma and AC Milan. It’s a tough challenge but I believe we can do it.
6. Lionel Messi certainly is the best player available today in world football, and is considered to be the same fate of legends Pele, Di Stefano, Cruyff, Puskás, Didi, Maradona. But will he ever win the world cup?
I can’t say if he will be able to win a World Cup, maybe yes. I know him and he has won almost everything a footballer can win. I find it hard to compare footballers mainly because the team in which they play makes a lot of difference. We must not forget that during the last World Cup Messi was close to winning this trophy.
7.Barcelona with its great offensive trio Suarez, Messi, Neymar is it the top team of the last 10 years in the world?
One of the best teams for sure. I also remember Guardiola’s squad in 2009 as well as 2010 and 2011. Also the Rijkaard one was a top one, even if he didn’t manage to win too many trophies. We can say anyway that the squad made by Guardiola and Luis Enrique at Barcelona are the top ones in the last ten years.
8. Which teams do you consider favourites for the European Championship which will see summer on the courts of France?
Of course Germany, Spain, and France playing at home, are the favourites. But also never forget Italy, they play good tactical football and are capable of winning.
9. Finally you had a glorious career and played for Arsenal and Barcelona among other teams. How do these teams compare?
It is hard to answer this question. There are some affinities. When I arrived at Arsenal, Wenger was building a team to always perform better. Our midfield and attack was made up of technical players, but at the beginning we had a very classic full-back defence. Then we learned to start our play from the back and to play a better style of football. Something similar was done at Barcelona. Both teams always play good football and are very organised clubs. Arsenal was my first european team and I was shocked by the incredible organisation that this club has.
10. And what about their managers? Did anyone in particular influence you the most? Many journalists, including myself, felt that you left Arsenal a bit too soon. I thought you were destined for a great career there since your playing style suited Arsenal a lot. Any regrets for leaving the London club?
A footballer’s career is always very strange. Growing up you often remember your past career, thinking what could have been different. My desire was to play in Italy or Spain, and when I was at Arsenal Ashley Cole was performing very well. I decided to leave for a team where I could play more. Maybe I could have stayed and tried to fight for a starting jersey, but then my career choice revealed to be a good one and I joined Barcelona.